See Daniel’s Profile at The University of Winchester
Daniel has worked in the field of young carers for over 17 years. As a former teacher, Daniel worked for six years as a Manager of a local young carer service, before working at a national level for the Princess Royal Trust for Carers and subsequently Carers Trust for nine years. In his role at Carers Trust, Daniel helped develop both policy and practice for young carers and young adult carers and led on the first Young Carers Awareness Day event in the UK. He sat on the National Young Carers Coalition and attended the ADASS Carers Policy Network Group. In 2016 Daniel was invited to feed into a Department of Health working group on the new Government Carers Strategy. Daniel is an Observer Member of Eurocarers, he has advised on the development of the first young carers support in Brussels, Belgium and is currently part of an International Advisory Board for developing support for young carers in Switzerland.
- In 2015, Daniel presented at the 6th International Carers Conference in Gothenburg, Sweden on ‘Protecting the health, well-being and life chances of young carers through a whole school approach’.
- In 2017, Belgium, presented on ‘Protecting the well-being and life chances of young carers’ at the European Commissions ‘Annual Convention on Inclusive Growth 2017’ in Brussels.
Working with local authorities
Daniel has worked extensively with local authorities providing support with capacity building, strategy and service design:
- Daniel led for Carers Trust on the development and delivery of the England wide programme, ‘Making a Step Change for Young Carers and their Families: Putting it into practice’ (2015-2016). This partnership project between Carers Trust and The Children’s Society, funded by the Department for Education, supported the effective implementation by local authorities of the duties required under the Care Act 2014 and the Children and Families Act 2014 with regard to young carers and their families.
- Daniel wrote the publications: Phelps, D (2012), Commissioning Services for Young Carers and their Families (Carers Trust, 2012) and its sister publication: Phelps, D (2011), Preparing Young Carers’ Services for Commissioning (The Princess Royal Trust for Carers).
- Daniel worked on the DCSF funded Include Partnership Project in partnership with The Children’s Society (2008-2010): Supporting nine local authorities develop strategies for young carers and families and joint working protocols.
- Daniel represented The Hampshire Young Carers Alliance on The Hampshire multi-agency Steering group (2001-2007)
Working with universities
- With the universities of Winchester and Nottingham, Daniel through Carers Trust, set up the National Network of Universities supporting Young Adult Carers to support the development of the publication Supporting Students with Caring Responsibilities 2014-2015.
- In his role as Researcher (young carers) at the University of Winchester, Daniel undertook a small study to explore the experiences of student carers in relation to learning and teaching at the University of Winchester.
Working young carer services
- Daniel managed a young carer service in Hampshire for six years where he developed a comprehensive, well respected, district-wide service, with a strong programme of youth activities, activity days, family events and a strong volunteer-run befriending scheme. As Manager Daniel developed an innovative and influential schools programme which was cited as a national model and which helped inform the development of the national resource ‘Supporting young carers: A resource for schools’. Daniel also chaired and was instrumental in establishing The Hampshire Young Carers Alliance.
- After working at a local level, Daniel worked for Carers Trust (formally the Princess Royal Trust for Carers (PRTC)) at a national level for nine years, Daniel held responsibility for supporting the network of around 100 young carer services across the UK, carried out development service reviews and led on a monthly e-Bulletin.
- Whilst at Carers Trust, Daniel wrote two key publications related to the commissioning of young carer services:
Phelps, D (2011), Preparing Young Carers’ Services for Commissioning (The Princess Royal Trust for Carers).
Phelps, D (2012), Commissioning Services for Young Carers and their Families (Carers Trust, 2012)
Between 2016-2019, Daniel is working with 10 young carer services within Hampshire, and evaluating their service provision for young carers and families across the county.
Phelps, D (2017), Supporting young carers: The provision of county-wide support for young carers, University of Winchester http://repository.winchester.ac.uk/1011/
Article: ‘The Voices of Young Carers in Policy and Practice’ in the journal ‘Social Inclusion’ (2017, Volume 5, Issue 3) © 2017 by the author; licensee Cogitatio (Lisbon, Portugal). This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY) https://www.cogitatiopress.com/socialinclusion/article/view/965
Phelps, D, Elmitt, C (2016) Engaging with Pharmacies: A Toolkit for Young Carer Services (Carers Trust) https://professionals.carers.org/sites/default/files/engaging_with_pharmacies_a_toolkit_for_young_carer_services_final.pdf
Lindley, S, Phelps, D (2016) Protecting Young Carers from Bullying: A Guide for Schools, Community Groups and Policy Makers (Carers Trust) https://professionals.carers.org/sites/default/files/protecting_young_from_bullying_final.pdf
Phelps, D, Aylward, N, Robey, C (2015), Supporting Students with Caring Responsibilities: A Resource for Colleges and Services to Help Young Adult Carers Succeed in Further Education (Carers Trust and NIACE). https://professionals.carers.org/collegetoolkit
Phelps, D, Aylward, N (2015), Supporting Students with Caring Responsibilities: An Introduction to Ideas and Practice for Colleges to Help Student Carers Succeed in Further Education (Carers Trust and NIACE). https://professionals.carers.org/collegetoolkit
Phelps, D and Warren, S (2015), Supporting Students with Caring Responsibilities: Ideas and Practice for Universities to Help Student Carers Access and Succeed in Higher Education England version (Carers Trust). https://professionals.carers.org/universities-supporting-students-caring-responsibilities?campaignkw=universities%20supporting%20carers%20resource
Mills, P, Ashley, D, Phelps, D, Warren, S, (2015), Supporting Young Carers Aged 5–8, a Resource for Professionals Working with Younger Carers (Carers Trust). https://professionals.carers.org/supporting-young-carers-aged-5-8
Phelps, D (2012), Commissioning Services for Young Carers and their Families (Carers Trust, 2012) http://static.carers.org/files/commissioning-services-for-young-carers-and-their-familes-final-copy-for-web-2-6542.pdf
Phelps, D, S, Keenleyside (2012), ‘Supporting Young Carers and their Families: Examples of Practice’: https://professionals.carers.org/supporting-young-carers-and-their-families-examples-practice
Phelps, D (2011), Preparing Young Carers’ Services for Commissioning (The Princess Royal Trust for Carers). http://www.waterloofoundation.org.uk/Files/commissioning_services_for_young_carers_and_their_familes_final_copy_for_web.pdf
Carers Trust (2012) Pupil Premium: Support for Young Carers (This paper highlights how investing some of the Pupil Premium to support young carers is low cost, cost effective and targeted at an appropriate pupil group)
With The National Young Carers Forum (2011) developed the film ‘Listening to Young Carers’ and ‘Your Young Carers Forum: A Guide and Poster’. The Children’s Society and The Princess Royal Trust for Carers (2011)
Phelps, D, Leadbitter, H, Manzi D (2010), Supporting Young Carers: A Resource for Schools (The Princess Royal Trust for Carers and The Children’s Society)
https://professionals.carers.org/sites/default/files/the_complete_supporting_young_carers_resource_as_one_pdf.pdf (Launched in 2010, this resource introduced the concept of a ‘whole school approach’ for identifying and supporting young carers across the UK)
Frank, J, Lineros, M, Manzi, D, Phelps, D (2009) School Lead for young carers and their families (An exemplar job description) www.childrenssociety.org.uk/youngcarer
Lineros, M., McLaron,J., Phelps, D. 2009b Local Authority Lead for young carers and their families www.childrenssociety.org.uk/youngcarer
Lineros, M, McLarnon, J, Phelps, D (2009) A guide to including young carers and their families in your local Children and Young People’s Plan www.childrenssociety.org.uk/youngcarer
Frank, J, Lineros, M, Phelps, D (2009) Recommendations for a Multi-Agency Steering Group for Young Carers and their Families: Recommendations for the composition of a young carers’ steering group
Frank, J, Phelps, D (2009) Local Authorities Young Carers’ Website Portal: Recommendations for what to include on a local authority website portal for best practice in supporting young carers and their families.
Frank, J, Lineros, M, Phelps, D (2009) A Strategy for Young Carers and their Families: A Checklist for Local Authorities: Designed as a guide of content to be included in a local authority strategy for young carers and their families